April 9, 2009

Sick Baby

Poor baby Ethan was sick last night and there was nothing we could do for him. I nursed him around 8 then put him to bed. He fussed a few times so we got up and gave him his paci back thinking that is what he was wanting, looking back it must have been that his tummy was bothering him. Around 9 I went in to help him back to sleep when he looked up at me, turn his head and threw up 3 times over his shoulder, I was completely shocked as massive amounts of curdled milk came flying out is mouth and nose. When he finished I noticed he had filled his ear as well. I immediately pick him up out of the huge lake of puke that use to be his crib and he threw up again all down his sleep sack. Jason was in the shower but the monitor was on so I yelled into it that needed help, now! 5 seconds later Jason came running in dripping wet, covered in soap and naked. LOL I think I would have at least grabbed a towel! ;0) He took Ethan to the Pack-n-Play in our room to clean him up while I cleaned his bed. Then Jason starts yelling for me, Ethan is throwing up again, forceful and heaving. There is definitely something not right here! We decide to call the Dr. While waiting for a call back I try to take his temperature knowing that it is something that the Dr will want to know. So off goes the diaper, in goes the thermometer... Uhh... how far do you put it in? Does this stupid thing beep when its done? (Turns out its doesn't, stupid thing.) Am I doing this right? While in the middle of this Ethan starts heaving again so we abort the temperature taking, sit him up as he pukes down his tummy, all over his man parts and into his diaper. Sweet. This time there is no milk left, now its yellow bile coming out, better get that off quick, it might sting! I finally get what I think is a good temp and the Dr calls back, I tell her what happened and about the temp and asked if I did it right, nope! Turns out I need to put it in another inch! Sheesh! Poor kid! Though it did make a difference in his actual temperature.
I needed Pedialyte and to continue taking his temp and if got over 102 to just go to the hospital. I head to the store as Jason tried to put him to sleep per the Dr. When I get back Ethan is passed out with no more vomiting! Yay! He ended up sleeping till 7am when I woke him to give him the Pedialyte. (Dr said to not feed his as long as possible, then when he wakes to give Pedialyte then the feeding after that nurse him.) I of course didn't sleep because I was watching him to be sure to didn't throw up in his sleep and aspirate. I'm exhausted and Ethan is feeling better it seems, so all is great.
Crazy thing is through all this he really didn't seem to mind! When cleaning him up he cried because the wipes were cold but after that he was nothing but smiles until the next episode. He's such a trooper. Today he seems to be doing well though they say if it is going to happen again it would most likely be in the afternoon/evening so I'm keeping an eye on his temp and general demeanor. Right now he sleeping next to me in his little monkey shirt looking cute as can be! Say a little prayer that this bug is gone!

"One should not stand at the foot of a sick person's bed, because that place is reserved for the guardian angel."

No comments:

Post a Comment